carburator settings

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
cdnprairie
carburator settings

Post by cdnprairie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi All,

I am on the information gathering mode again. In the past we had asked about spark plugs and gas/oil mixtures. Now I am looking at carb settings specifically the high and low mixtures settings of the HR carb on the Diablos. The information I have as a starting point ranges anywhere from 3/4 to 1 1/2 on the low and 1 to 1 1/2 on the high and adjust accordingly. Now I have not checked, but I dont believe altitude comes into play much between Manitoba,Ontario,Quebec or even Michigan and WI. What I would like to know is, what "final" settings are people finding the best all round performance. Thanks in advance. :?:

Ken

devil dog

Re: carburator settings

Post by devil dog » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:09 pm

the service manual says to begin by backing both out one turn after gently screwing in all the way. counter-clockwise enriches the mixture. Adjust the idle speed screw so the clutch is not engaging and creeping the machine foreward but not so slow it is stalling. Then adjust idle mixture screw . I do it by ear- take your time,warm the engine and slowly adjust 1/4 turn at a time.It will smooth out at correct setting. lack of low speed power taking off means it is too lean. The high speed one you need to run it full throttle, stop, adjust richer,run it, stop,keep trying different settings. when you get it right, the engine will operate at highest RPM. Too rich or too lean will lower RPM. I probly did not give you a direct answer, but ambient temperature has a lot to do with it as well as slight differences from one carb to another.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 pm

I never drive without a slot screwdriver in my pocket.

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi Barrie, kinda reminds me of when I friend of mine was telling me about how he was able to adjust the carb on his old Ski-Doo while he was riding at full throttle- the motor and carb are right there.Last year I took the hoods right off the Diablo and Hus-Ski cause I got sick of putting them up and down when tuning. Also, I was able to see how belt and clutches were operating!

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Riding with the hood up is an essential tuneup tip. No other way to see the clutches but a long reach to get the carb!!

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:11 am

I've heard fellows joking about how they used to lean out the high speed until the muffler glowed red and then richen it up a touch. Ouch! I've experienced a laboring engine and a secondary clutch not opening up because of a too rich condition. It doesn't take much of an adjustment to correct this either. Best to experiment in different weather conditions. I've also seen a remote HR carb adjustment tool for go-carts on ebay. Has anyone tried it. Roy. PS Nice looking diablo Ken.

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info thus far. I was just wanting to get the sense that by time all was said and done, I was in the ball park with those with the experience. I can say I remember trying to set the carb on an old ski-doo by holding the throttle wide open with one hand while trying to turn a screwdriver with the other...challenging at best. Arms are a little short for the Diablo. Picture this...similar to Roys avitar...just givin her with the cowl up and me on the handlebars, screwdriver in hand tryin to turn a screw.....challenging duh ya! :shock:

Ken

PS. Roy thanks for the comment....I am happy with the results.What I do to check the clutch functions is mark the stationary shive with a black marker. Run machine. The belt will wear off the mark to the furthest point it travelled in the clutch...has worked great for me for years.

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi All,

I am still having issues with my 502. I have no mid to high end. The mid high end just seems like a bog and just doesn't seem to want to revv. I started the carb setting at 3/4 turn open (L) and 1 1/4 (H) engine warm. Adjusted (L) further (open) till engine smoothed out. Played with the (H) and nothing seems to change whether I open more or close. Always starts great and once warmed up idles nice. Runs and pulls fine from stopped to about 1/2 throttle then nothin left. Marked primary clutch and belt only coming up 1/3-1/2 way. Obviously not enough rpm to go any further. One thing that I have noticed is that there is no fuel in the inline fuel filter. There is fuel in line from tank to filter and in line from filter to carb. I'm getting the feeling not enough fuel is being delivered, and should the fuel filter not remain full with fuel. Open to suggestions. :?: :(

Ken

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 pm

Fuel in the line is deceiving.......it is there but there is not enough flow to deliver the engines needs at high rpm. Your outlet at the tank may be blocked or your gas cap is closed too tightly creating a vacuum in the tank. Check these two simple things before going further.

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks Barrie, I will check the blockage tomorrow. I dont think it is a cap issue, I actually thought mine was a little loose as I do get some gas siepagaround it and via the vent hole when the gas starts sloshing around. I was thinkin I may have to change the rubber gasket on the cap. get back to ya.

Ken