Red paint; ski coating

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
devil dog
Red paint; ski coating

Post by devil dog » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:08 am

Hi everyone! Have we come to an agreement on the red paint code/product or people using what they think is best? Also, what is the best/most correct coating for skis? :roll:

cdnprairie

Re: Red paint; ski coating

Post by cdnprairie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi Mike,

The paint code for Gypsy Red I used is listed previously under this heading. I think it is very close and I was just elated as to the results with my Diablo. I sent a pic to Bruce and he seemed to like the finished product. Bruce never got back to me on his formula to compare. Also, the one I used is bang on for the current decals being reproduced. If you are interested I can e-mail you a copy of the actual paper work my paint supplier gave me. For the skiis, I used "MINWAX WOODFINISH" stain sealer and topped it off with a few coats of Flecto Varathane. Hope this is helpful. :)

Ken

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 pm

I wish I knew the correct formula. I've painted three so far and I don't think any of them are a perfect match. Seeing a picture does not help either as it is still hard to compare. Even if a guy gets the right paint color, now you better hope the guy at the paint store knows how to mix. Red is the most difficult color to match.

Good luck and if you find a color that really matches, share it here. Eventually when the web site stops kicking my rear, I'll add it there too.

Thanks all,

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi Bruce,

I would agree pictures are not the best way to judge and I am not sure how one is to determine which shade of red is the closest without putting all the machines along side one another and come up with a determination. Of course we are dealing with different paint technoligies which I am sure are superior to 40 years ago and probably like comparing apples with oranges. I dont know how as a group we could come to a decision on this one. :?:

Ken

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:26 pm

I looked through pages of paint chips for Crysler, GM and Ford but found no color I liked as much as the red I used on my 1958 MGA. It is called Orient Red. The guy mixed my paint exactly the same as when I did the MG four years ago.
Attachments
Red surge!.jpg
Red surge!.jpg (151.83KiB)Viewed 4642 times

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks Ken, Bruce, and Barrie for the feedback. I think if there is a formula that matches the current repro decals that is cool. I think I will still take a NOS 500 hood which I should have in a week and let my friend who is a auto paint tech scan it and get a mix for it. When I get some info I will post it.

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:57 pm

It will be interesting to see what your guy comes up with and do a comparison with my mix, Bruces and Barrie's. Would be interesting to see if these technicians are close. I wonder what Rock came up with by his paint guy? :?:

Ken
Attachments
CIMG1481.JPG
CIMG1481.JPG (45.57KiB)Viewed 4602 times

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Wow! That looks perfect! I dont think there is any room for improvment there! I am still running a lowish hour "daily driver" 502 but hope to have a 50 something and a Hus-Ski in new paint next riding season. Cheers Mate!

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 pm

That is just incredible looking Ken. You shared the picture in the snow, but that one really jumps out. A fine fine job my friend.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:51 pm

Thanks for the comments. Like I say I think it is just about bang on with the reds in the decals for sure.I think with todays modern paints it is going to be tough to find an"exact match". There are simply too much change in the technology. A lot of paints out there today are somewhat sensitive to light and can appear to change slightly as the light changes. Also to take a photo and come up with the true colors is tough, I think thats why photo buffs prefer to take pics in over cast conditions rather than full sun. The pic above was taken late day heavy overcast (in garage). The photos on the friends tab, components in basement under flourescent lighting and on the snow, mid day full bright sun. The color does appear somewhat different depending on light conditions.The one in the garage I think most accurately depics the true color of my diablo. :)

Ken