Drive sprocket

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
gorm
Drive sprocket

Post by gorm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm

It finally got warm enough to work in the garage. A natural gas heater is going in this summer. I got the tracks off and found one of the drive sprockets has a tooth missing. Is there a simple way to get that sprocket off or does the gearbox have to come out? I think I am missing something. Also, does anyone have a sprocket for sale? If I drive it like this am I asking for more trouble? Lots of questions. Thanks.

Garth in Regina, Sask.

gorm

Re: Drive sprocket

Post by gorm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:46 pm

I should have added that the drive sprocket is on a 502.

Garth in Regina, Sask

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:48 pm

Hi Garth,

It's ironic you ask about that. I've got the gearbox page on the web sites goofed up at this time trying to get pictures from the old site to the new one. Sorry about that. I'll try and get that fixed soon so you can see how to pull a sprocket off. Long story short, if you don't care about damaging the old sprocket, you might be able to get it off in the sled. If you are trying to save it, the gearbox may need to come out.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

gorm

Post by gorm » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi Bruce

What about driving it like it is. I suppose I am taking a good chance at making matters worse. Do you have a sprocket? I read the ones that were made, but for now I would just like to replace.

Garth

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:13 am

Hi Garth,

If you already have the tracks off, I would use this opportunity to go the next step, remove the chaincase/drive and go through it, replacing the bearings and resealing it. I know when I did mine, I learned the hard way, I did damage a sprocket. The best way to remove is with a press. Just my two cents worth. :|

Oh ya....check the rear idlers as well, they tend to seize and the shaft turns in the spring which in turn causes other wear issues believe me.

Ken

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:01 pm

Garth,

I would not be worried about damaging the sprocket any more, but the next thing you will tear up is the aluminum grousers on the track. Then you will be looking for a track too. Regarding a spare, I have to go through my inventory to know as they are very scarce.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

gorm

Post by gorm » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:36 am

Bruce

That would be great if you have one. I definitely want to get it running soon.

Garth in Regina,Sask.