motor dismantling

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Barrie2777
motor dismantling

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:56 pm

I hope this won't be a big problem, but the motor on the Diablo I just Got (yes another one!) rain entered the cylinder during all our rain last week. The carb was off and the heatshield did a great funnelling job. I have taken the motor inside, heated it up to thaw the ice inside and poured out the water. I have removed the clyinder and managed to separate the crankcase about 1/8". I sprayed all bearings and inner parts with WD40. To go further I will need to pull the flywheel. Should I completely dismantle the engine or is this drying out method enough to ensure no rusting on bearings and wrist pin rollers?

bottomsupduckclub

Re: motor dismantling

Post by bottomsupduckclub » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:31 pm

I've heard of people that have sunk there entire snowmobile, then thaw it out, put new gas in it & run it. My opinion you have taken it farther than most would even consider! Heck if you're that far why not just take it apart, check & clean it up then reassemble. That way you know what you have when you're done. Just my 2 cents

BOTTOMS UP! :D
69 Diablo "503"
72 Kitty cat
74 JD 295s (1 1/2X)
7? Jdx8
81 Spitfire
80 Liquifire CUSTOM
94 Indy
94 XCR 440

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi Barrie,

I would aggree with Dave. I know of guys like Dave mentioned and they did as stated. Heck we sunk a couple of quads, pulled the plugs turned them over to get the water out, got them fired up and contiued on with no issues. I Have also heard of guys who have sunk sleds, after draining the water, ran Mercury Marine Storage Seal to ensure no rusting.

Ken

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:10 pm

The motor is now completely dismantled. Good thing too..I found a rusted and pitted bearing not due to the last rain but from a day long past. The number 6305 is on the bearing . I assume this is still a valid number? I will probably relace the other bearing since I have come this far but it appears to be in excellent condition. The spark plug wire is also suspect.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:36 pm

Barrie,

The bearing number is standard nomenclature for bearing identifications. You will have no problems matching up that bearing. In that you have the motor this far taken apart, I'd suggest getting new condenser and points. Condensers can loose their capacitance over time.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:35 pm

This engine is getting the rebuild. The piston and rings look great and no scoring in the cylinder. The only problem I see is the bearing which was on the flywheel side. Is it possible that a leaking seal had let water in?