What happened?

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Johncrawford
What happened?

Post by Johncrawford » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:47 pm

At the end of last season me and #1 son were zooming down a groomed lake trail, when my 502 suddenly lost power and
stopped. the engine was not seized, and i let it cool down and then restarted it. It was a day close to freezing. Is this a vapour lock or did my engine nearly blow? Have run it this year and it seems fine. Anyone else have this happen?

John, Regina SK.

gorm

Re: What happened?

Post by gorm » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:17 pm

John

I do not have an answer for you, but on another topic, I got the paint mixed from the papers you gave me and I will try and get them back to you this weekend. Let me know if you are around. I painted the nose cone, looks good. I have to get some heat in the garage so I can get some work done. Merry Christmas.

Garth in Regina

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:38 pm

John,

Does your 502 have a heat shield on it? Bolens did experience vapor lock which is why they added the heat shield to the 502/3 models. However, my experience with vapor lock is typically when an engine is shut off and the heat from the motor gets the carb hot and the fuel turns to vapor (hence, vapor lock). I've not heard of vapor lock as one is driving around.

Maybe someone has a better explanation.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

TWF

Post by TWF » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36 am

I never had it happen on a snowmobile before, yet have had it happen when blowing snow with the lawn tractor. Same type of thing though. Was blowing snow really nice and steady pace, then it would sputter a bit then die. Would not restart until a while later. Turned out I had a bit of water in the gas and once in a while the water would freeze and a chunk of ice would get clogged in the carb. After I would leave it sit a bit, the engine heat would unthaw the carb out and it would start again and run great. A bit of Iso-heat (red bottle works the best) each time I refuel and those problems went away. Not sure if it is the same problem you are having, yet sounds very similiar. What do you got to lose by trying it? A bottle is a buck or two and might just save you a bunch of time trying to find the cause of it dying on you. Just my .02

TWF

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:41 pm

Now that sounds like a much better answer than mine TWF. I could see that happening. Thanks for sharing.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

TWF

Post by TWF » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Just hope it helps out.

TWF

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Vapor lock is common in MG's. Typically it happens in hot weather while in traffic and the engine is not getting enough cool air. The solutiion is to find somewhere to dirve fast or pull on the choke. This changes the fuel mix and is supposed to slove the vapor locl problem. I hope I never have to try this technique.