welding bogie assemblies

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Roy Teske
welding bogie assemblies

Post by Roy Teske » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:16 am

I had broken welds (brackets to axle tubes) repaired at a welding shop last year. Inspection this year reveals some welds have broken again. The tubes have actually cracked. Even the good welds have cracks in the tubes along the welds. I've tried brazing this time to see if that works. I'm wondering what kind of steel was used in these assemblies. Has anyone else had this problem. I'm thinking about rebuilding the front assemblies with solid axles and newer bogies with bearings. Roy Teske.

Roy Teske

Re: welding bogie assemblies

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks for your input Lucky Dog ,but that goes far beyond my welding abilities. It's the double bracket front assemblies that seem to crack the most. The tube even cracks between the bogie wheel and the bracket, right where the bushing is in the end of the tube. Not much room there. These assemblies don't come apart easily without some damage. Has anyone had any success in taking them apart? There must be a simple way to rebuilt them ??? Roy.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: welding bogie assemblies

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi Roy,

Yes, those double bogies are a bugger. In regards to taking them apart, I don't think that is possible. The construction of the tire hub to the shaft is pressed together in a way that trying to press them apart just bends up the tire hub. I believe the construction is typical mild steel. I'm no expert, but I would suggest to bring them to someone who is good with a wire feed welder (body shop or other welding shop) and let them put a bead of weld on the insides of the "U" brackets along with another on the inner sides of the brackets. Getting a bead inside the tire hub might be difficult as there is not enough room there and I'd also worry about damaging the bushing.

Hope that helps,

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX