Track Tension

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
cdnprairie
Track Tension

Post by cdnprairie » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi All

I am in the process of re-assembly of my 502. I have just re-installed the tracks and in the proces of adjusting them. The Diablo manual simply states to adjust so that the tracks touch the pan when pushed upward. My question is how much force should be exerted to do that? I know with most modern sleds the correct track tension is accomplished when you have approx. 1" deflection with approx 10lbs of pull in the centre of the track. :)

Ken

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Track Tension

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:54 pm

Ken,

I'm not a track expert with lots of experience, but these are some things I think of when installing tracks:

- Too tight is bad for the fragile sprockets and gearbox.
- Loose is better and as long as they don't slap around when you drive, loose is ok. On the 502/3, you have that bar in the back that helps hold the track from slapping too, so that is good.
- When adjusting, check to see that your adjustment screws stick out the same on each side. This will ensure the gearbox is straight and puts less stress on the single bearing in the gearbox. It might mean that one track is tighter than the other, but I think that is better than adjusting the tracks evenly but having the gearbox cocked sideways in the frame.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:18 pm

HI Bruce,

Thanks. I guess I am trying to find what is not too loose and not too tight. The manual also states that the distance centre to centre on the axles should be 43 1/4" minimum and I am about there. I also have been checking the measurement at the adjusters and they are different by about 1/8th.

Ken

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:19 pm

When I rebuild a machine, I am very cautious on how I drive it to start.....usually very slow. Every machine will make noises and you have to learn what is normal for your machine. When I am confident that everything is running properly, then I gradually increase speed and manoeurves.