Chain oil weight

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
gorm
Chain oil weight

Post by gorm » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:05 am

What weight of oil is everyone using in the chaincase? I want to change mine out before I use it this winter.

Gorm

cdnprairie

Re: Chain oil weight

Post by cdnprairie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi,

The 502/503 owner operation and maintenance manual calls for 6 oz. of SAE140 or equivalent. However, I have other documents that indicate both SAE 50 or SAE90. I am just in the process of re-assembling my 502 and was not going to fill chain case until it is mounted back on the machine. I am glad you asked the question and maybe repsonse will in my case clear up the confusion.
:?:
Ken

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi Guys,

Not sure it matters all that much. When I put mine together, I went with the 90 weight. I think a little heavier viscosity is better to control the leaks of the gearbox design, but 140 weight? Holy Cow. Think if it was really cold how thick that oil would be. However remember, the lubricant is only oiling the chain and sprockets as all the bearings should be sealed bearings.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi Gorm!

If you just bought your machine it would be predent to check the rear axel bearings for condition. I overlooked this one year, the bearing seized and actually cut off the axel during a ride. This caused the cog and track to be jammed between the body and the brace etc etc etc....... You don't want to go there for the sake of a $2 bearing.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:42 pm

Barrie, You bring up a good point.

When you told me that, I've thought about it often. Now that I have a couple of those idler shafts apart, I think it would be a good idea to drill a small 1/8" hole into the spring where it curls around the shaft and drill straight through the shaft. Then insert a pin to insure the shaft does not turn.

Any thoughts?

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:50 pm

HI Guys,

Bruce..I was contemplating that as well but I was thinking a set screw or something like that.
The rear axle on my 502 was very badly worn as you recall and I could see where a situation as Barry explains could occur.

Ken

Update: To stop the rear axle from turning in the springs, I drilled a 1/4" hole through the spring loops and just into the axle about 1/16". Using a 5/16NC18 tap I taped the hole in the springloop and installed set screws. This prevents the axle fromturning in the springs.
Last edited by cdnprairie on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:33 pm

I will check mine again, but I believe it was the side of the bearing which cut off the shaft. I kept the shaft as a grim reminder of what can happen.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 am

My shaft was cut off where the bearing and the aluminum spacer were. The spring would provide a wide weight bearing surface and probably would take years to accomplish the same disasterous effect.

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:17 am

I started with SAE40 oil and then went to SAE90 to cut down on the leaks as you suggested Bruce. Also I used set screws to prevent the rear axle from turning in the springs. Every rear axle I've seen has had seized bearings and was spinning in the springs.Roy.