Electrical Component Question for 502. Anybody Know?

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Electrical Component Question for 502. Anybody Know?

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi all,

Ken P sent in this picture and I had not noticed this until he pointed it out. This electrical component is wired in the lighting wire circuit of the 502. Ken's shows a green wire that looks like it by-passes the component, but the ones I looked at tonight on my 502s do not have this wire, just the component. I'm guessing it is a surge protector or something to control voltage spikes on the lamps.

Ken writes:

On the lighting wire there was some electrical tape wrapped and I removed it to
expose what I can only describe as some sort of diode.(see attached photo)In
the photo you will see a symbol and 6M. On the opposite side is 3AF1.

Anybody know what this is and how to test it?
502 Wiring Component.JPG
502 Wiring Component.JPG (26.01KiB)Viewed 3761 times
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdnprairie

Re: Electrical Component Question for 502. Anybody Know?

Post by cdnprairie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:20 pm

HI All,

I found out from a local electronic supply that the item in question is an " axial lead rectifier". My understanding is that basically rectifiers are (1)used to convert AC power to DC power, and (2) act as a switch allowing current to flow in one direction. They are rated by voltage and amperage. The one pictured rated max. 100 volts, 3 amps. I was told that the one pictured (however old) may be still available in some locales. Also, if you replace the rectifier it is critical that the amps match,the volts is not that important. The replacement was manufactured by NTE Electronics Inc, part #NTE5809 rated at max 1000v, 3a and cost $3 cdn. :)

I'll find out more info with respect to: how to test and post the details.

Ken

gorm

Post by gorm » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:19 am

You should be able to test it with a voltmeter that has a diode test function ot it. That should do the trick. I am assuming the rectifier is being used to clean up the DC voltage in the circuit.

Garth (gorm)

cdnprairie

Post by cdnprairie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Garth,

Sounds like you have some knowledge in this area. I am not sure what you mean by "cleaning up" the voltage. One thing that myself and I am sure others would like to do is improve on the lighting. Would that be possible:?:

Ken

gorm

Post by gorm » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 pm

I mean they maybe using it to give a better DC voltage,taking out some of the AC spikes. Not sure why they would have added it in otherwise.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:16 am

Hi all,

I took a 502 off the shelf yesterday and looked at the component. This one clearly had a diode symbol on it (a funky arrow with a line) and it also had the ring identification on it noting the cathode end. It's component identification was 3AF1 also. It is in the wire between the engine lighting coil and the dash switch and the cathode end goes toward the switch.

That makes sense. The lighting coil design may tend to create alternating current (AC) and the diode only allows current in one direction and halts the reverse sign wave, making the current direct current (DC) which is what all automotive type systems use. If the lighting coil is truly making an AC current sign wave, the single diode is a very crude way of making DC current as half the current is wasted. Typically, a system changing AC to DC uses a series of diodes called a "Wheatstone Bridge" that takes both sides of an AC sign wave and changes them both to DC current so no current is wasted.

Someone with a little more electrical knowledge than I have could probably design a Wheatstone Bridge to improve the lighting current output.

PS - we have confirmed the component should not have the "By-pass Wire" hooked in around it. Someone must have added that for some reason.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

cdrsavage

Post by cdrsavage » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:59 am

It is definetly a 3 amp diode and it sole purpose is to change the alternating current from the alternator to a direct current. This function is only needed to charge the battery if there even is one. If no battery is present, the rest of the electrical circuit is purely resistive and need not be rectified. In other words, the lighting system works just fine of AC/DC voltages. Being that it is not a full wave rectifier, it will reduce the output voltage and make the lights a little dimmer as it blocks half of the imput waveform. If your sled does not have electric start, then no need for a battery or a charging system so just let the jumper on the diode be, just tape it over so as no to touch ground and short out the system. hope this helps