Replace cleats without removing track?

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
seabeeman
Replace cleats without removing track?

Post by seabeeman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:17 am

Can you replace a cleat or two without removing the track? As luck would have it, after a full restore and replacing any cleat that even looked like breaking with new (along with lacers) I find a broken cleat while moving the Diablo around. I REALLY don't want to take it apart to flip it over and remove the track to replace it as I did before. Can they be replaced with the track in place, or just supported such that you can open the tracks and thread them out without mangling the paint underneath?

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Replace cleats without removing track?

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Hi Rich,

Diablo tracks can be challenging. Like you say, tracks look good and all of a sudden you can have a broken cleat. You are not alone in this challenge. Even my restorations while I'm driving them through the winter break cleats every now and then.

I do have a friend who build a jig so that he could replace a cleat without removing the tracks. Me, I'm one to replace a cleat the traditional way:

- Drain the gas. If electric start, remove the battery. Put carpet down and flip the Diablo up on it's side picking it up on the clutch side so that less oil leaks out of the gearcase. By the way, if you do not have a drain plug in the bottom of your gearcase, now is also a good time to add a small plug so you can drain and refill the oil every year.

- Loosen both tracks some. Turn the tracks so the lacer pins are accessible and up near the drive sprockets. Then remove the lacer pins.

- Now getting the track off without scratching things up might take two people. With the drive sprocket in the right position, you should have just enough clearance between the drive sprocket and the frame to slide the track past it. With someone pulling the track out toward the idler, the other person can guide the track past the drive sprocket. You will have to hold the track up as well while doing this.

- Replace your cleat and put back together using new lacer pins.

Sorry, I know you were hoping for an easier solution.

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX