67 Diablo Rouge

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Rock
67 Diablo Rouge

Post by Rock » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:16 am

What kind of gas and oil should I put in my machine ? Where would be the perferct place to put a machine during summer time?

Tks
Rock
Ontario Canada
Hus-ski 200A
65 Snowbug
73 Olympique 300
71 Snow Cruiser
196? Rat Hus-ski

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: 67 Diablo Rouge

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Rock,

The manuals say a 25:1 mixture. I suspect and good 2-cycle oil for mixing with gas will work. I would not use oil made for oil injection though.

In regards to storing, I'd bet there are lots of good ideas out there. I've found that somewhere with a concrete floor stores better than sand, dirt or gravel. It keeps the machine dryer and reduces oxidation / rust. Also better for keeping the varmints out. I've also been told putting dryer sheets in with the machine also keeps the varmints out. One thing I would also suggest is that if there is any chance mice are around, remove the seat and put it in the house or somewhere else secure. Mice love to get into the padding and eat the seat cushions.

Hope that helps.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:38 pm

I mix gas for my HUS-SKIs and Diablos at 28:1 even though the manual for the HUS-SKI says 16:1. According to some fiends of mine who I trust completely on this topic,they mixas high as 40:1. It isn't a question of how much oil is in the gas but how good is the oil. Todays oils are much better than when our machines were designed and provide a very good lubricating film even at higher mix ratios. I will stay with 28:1 and breathe a little smoke.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: 67 Diablo Rouge Fuel mix & storage techniques

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:21 pm

Does anybody know if running today's unleaded gasolines harm these old 2-cycle motors? Should we be using a Lead Additive in our mix?
Yamaha 600 SX

matt collins

Post by matt collins » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:49 am

Lead does not affect 2 cycle engines. Lead additive was designed to cool the exhaust valves on automotive engines. Older 4 stroke car engines had heads that were not heat treated around the exhaust valve seat. As a result, the exhaust valve tended to pick away at the head, recessing the valve into the head. THe lead provided a cusioning effect and cooling effect to the valve and head, prolonging the service life of the engine. After about 1974, Cylinder heads had induction-hardened valve seats. This eliminated the need for lead.
Older 2 stroke engines have square-cut piston rings. Newer engines have a tapered "keystone" ring. The new design lets the ring expand against the cylinder wall during the compression stroke, and this effect also keeps the rings and grooves clean. Although new oils are better at lubricating, I think the older engines, especially the Hirths with 3 rings need a little more than 50:1 mix. I had a 66 Panther that would lose power after it warmed up if I ran a mix leaner than 30:1. Those huge rings need a little more oil than the others. Of course that was 20 years ago, and I have not tried synthetic in any of my current old sleds. Who would like to experiment?

Matt

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Very good explanation Matt. Thanks.
Yamaha 600 SX