New guy from Ontario

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
jayvee43
Re: New guy from Ontario

Post by jayvee43 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:22 pm

OK, I know I said I'd work on the handles, but I LIED. ;)

I guess I'm procrastinating. I just know these handles will be a nightmare. Anyways, here is what I was able to fabricate today. Keep in mind, I don't have anything but pictures to make references to. It is not OEM.

I had to fabricate a bumper today. I realize the later models had 4 braces, I find these 2 braces very rigid. Also, I had to put support braces on the underside to help keep the noze aligned and straight. The added braces are a safe distance from the track cleats, I think i'm OK leaving them like that.

Here goes. (thanks for pictures I'm not so good with words)

I had to remove the stinkin Chaincase again. :| to drill my braces.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:34 am

OK, I have a question: As anybody ever tryed (rattle can) painting chrome. I read you prime the piece perfectly, you apply black gloss and let that dry several weeks, then you apply chrome over the black.

What do you guys think? I have never done this. I am about to try however.
There are so many parts missing off of this little 500 of mine. I didn't realize when i bought it, I'd have to go through this much fabbing.

(I'll post pictures of the chrome obviously, but it will take a few weeks to cure.)

Here's a picture of the then, and the now to keep me motivated. Anyways, let me know what you think about the chrome painting. Thanks.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:43 pm

Well, This is what happens when you have more time off because of lay-off's.

My day was spent assembling the nose tins and bumper parts that I painted last weekend.
Here's the latest. "I think it is safe to say my nose tins problems are behind me now" :lol:

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:07 pm

Alright, I realize I have not updated any new pictures of the 500 lately, but I have a pretty good excuse.

I was busy preparing for a trip to the 25th annual Chalk River, Ontario snow-traveler's ride.

I want to particularly say that I had a very memorable day. I met Bruce and his friend Randy from the States. I also got to meet Roy. And a slew of other players I had not met. I was also reminded that 25 years ago, when this snow-travelers club started I was one of the few who rode that day.
I want to thank the Snow-travelers club organizers for a memorable get together and a lot of "socializing going on; During the RUN portions of the day" Thanks to the Yellow team. 8-)

I spent the day with a few new friends, but one in particular. (This one's for you Bruce)

Thanks for the loan of your 500 and the 503 Made my trip. A very memorable day!

As for my 500 update: After nearly 708 miles, My Ski-Seater finally made it to its new home.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

BillNH

Post by BillNH » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:54 pm

I used the chrome paint on my bumper. I sanded and primed to get a fairly smooth finish, let it cure for a week or so then put a coat of the chrome paint on every 3 hours until I had 4 coats. That was 3 -4 years ago, still looks good, and it has to stay outside under a tarp.
Bill, 503 Diablo Rouge, 444 mongrel. 2009 Arctic Cat 570

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:27 am

My first ever ride in a Sno Bug. Things were going pretty good till we came across the dowed tree in our path. But I'll say the Sno Bug tooled around the obstruction with relative ease even though the terrain was rough. Thank you Jesse!

We all had a great day and I also met many new friends and I'm sure we will gather again in the future.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:52 pm

Alright. Finally got a few days off. And the weather is good enough to go in a "ice tent" to work on my handles.

Once again, I have a few pictures. (surprise!) To explain my modification repair.

I simply cut off the infected area, and replaced it.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:59 pm

Tomorrow I will tackle the right side, then I will put in the gussets: I tryed polishing the welds to make it look smooth. Hopefully with enough primer and paint, it will look good.

And one more to show the nice smooth lines. I think it turned out OK. If I don't screw up the other side I'll be happy.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:45 pm

OK, I had another go at these handles today, I managed the right side. I wasn't sure how I was gonna fix all this bubble gum welding, but now I'm happy with the result. 8-)
Anyways here is a couple more pics. I still have to apply BONDO and clean the pits left in the welds but for the most part, they are smooth and will be ready for prime/paint later on.

Tomorrow I drop in the motor and hope it fits. I'd love to hear the engine run.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:38 am

At the end of the video i simply say this: "Who would have taught? She's alive! Thanks boys, Thanks Bruce.

Check it out ;)

http://youtu.be/yFdw8P6GDCQ

And one more video: (This one is shaky) Sory bout that. But a milestone given the amount of time I spent on this project so far. :?

http://youtu.be/f3twFH0Q_B8

At the end of the ride, I get throttle happy a little... oooops!
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500