New guy from Ontario

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Barrie2777
Re: New guy from Ontario

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:27 pm

"my question to you is how do you keep from wearing your skis away. Do you varnish or polyurethane every year or what is your technique to preserve." Go into the DEEP snow Bruce. Your skis are away from the rocks and gravel and ice found on packed trails ( good for Diablos, not HUS-SKIs).I don't see soft snow having much wear effect on maple skis. I have one main rule about my skis...they can stay outside all winter no matter how cold it gets but if one drop of rain falls, in the shed they go. Once inside I elevate them so that they don't sit in a puddle of water.

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey Barrie, I think your ski's look fantastic. All stained. I'll have to watch for rocks I guess. :o

Here is a couple of pics as of this afternoon. I have started assembly. It's coming along. I am still working on the seat. More to come.

Also, I have managed a shield to keep the carburetor cooler. I didn't like the look of the wedge that I have seen on other's machine. I don't know. Maybe it is just me, But I feel we need more air deflection around the lower part of the cylinder head. I made a shield that I feel will protect the carb, and deflect the cooler air around to the cooling fins. I will see how it makes a difference in Chalk River. (I'll report my results later)

If everything keeps coming along this good, I will definitely be ready for Chalk-River. I hope to see yous there.

Jesse
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:31 am

I notice in your picture Jesse that you do not have a top motor mount stop bracket. These two top rubber motor mounts are known to break and then the motor crashes down into the gas tank. If you don't know what I'm describing, I'll post a pic later.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:13 am

Bruce, you say that the 500 and 502 have a diode in the lighting wire to eliminate one half of the AC wave, making it DC. That is why I was wondering if an led would work, being that it is a Light Emitting Doide, I was thinking that it might just work on one half of the wave. I'm just not sure about the voltage in this situation. Someday I'll get one and give it a try on one of my machines.

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:44 pm

Hey Bruce, I believe I can see the "angled steel piece" above your engine mount on a previous picture regarding the heat shield. (I think that's what you're referring to.)

Frank, regarding the lights. I believe I have your answer.

1- Yes LED's can and will work off of a AC current and you could use it to work. But not directly off of the Lighting coil of the engine. There is way too much Wattage. The voltage is a issue to a certain amount, but the Watts is what blows the Lights Emitting Diodes.

2- Watch this video, it explains the complete conversion directly out of your lighting coil wire of your motor (in this case it is a motorcycle, but it is the same principle) and the use of Bridge Rectifier and Capacitor and the works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qHJFvjwkI4

3- It can be done, but it seems complicated. Then you still have to worry about the Watts your LED Lights are rated for. If you have too much going to your lights, you burn them. (I did that already) :? :? :?

So, Like Bruce said earlier. incandescent lights are designed to work off of the Alternating current and can take the watts coming out of these engines. I would not try to put LED's and hook them to my Motor directly anymore.

I hope this will help you. ;)

Jesse
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

fap67

Post by fap67 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks, Jesse.

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:13 am

Looks like I have something to sit on from now on. Voila! "THE" Seater. :lol: My last order came in from Gogodiablo.com. It looks fantastic. I have a few days to add some details to my 500. Chalk River is coming very fast, I have a millions things to do yet. Yikes. :o

Here's the latest from the ski-seater. (enjoy)
Building the seat base was a snap, compared to the seat assembly. But, I discovered I suck at upholstery. :oops:

One thing i will say, I am super glad I didn't re-use the old seater vinyl, This one that Bruce offers is super easy and really completes the refurbish. It came out looking OK, I think. I can't wait to try it out. (WE NEED MORE SNOW) :cry:
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:13 pm

That looks great Jesse! Good job.

You asked earlier what adhesive I use for the ski skins. The product I get from Crown Plastics is Huntsman Araldite 8595. It comes with a resin and a hardener. If you search for it, you can find it from other suppliers.

I do not know if this adhesive will glue every day typical UHMW plastic. That plastic is common and readily available. The wear skins I get from Crown Plastics is their brand name "Durasurf" which has one side of the UHMW sheet treated in such a way that the adhesive will grab it.

Hope that helps.

Diablo is looking good! Looking forward to seeing it at Chalk River.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:54 pm

Thanks for the Info on the ski skins Bruce. I'll check into that after Chalk River.

Talking of Chalk, I was worried. The weather is not very cold. And I do not like the idea of having a Diablo that keeps all that heat under the hood. So, I made yet another modification.

I decided to hack at my hood. I put on the decals and looked for a location for vents. I realize the Engineers at Bolens were not happy either because they put in louvers on their later models.
I have another series of pictures explaining what i did to help cool the motor.

Maskin' tape and centering everything.

Then I cut a few 3 inch holes.

These should help keep things cooler in under the hood. ;)

My wife didn't like the white loover. I was not convinced it needed to be painted. But, While sipping on a beer, I looked at it and decided... Lets paint it. Well. My wife was right...again. :o :lol: It blends right in.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:04 am

Well, Too bad we won't get to ride in Chalk River. I was looking forward to this year.

I just tried riding my Diablo around the house, the formidable crust is making it almost too difficult to steer. I couldn't hardly turn from the sitting position on the seater. I guess a "completed project picture will have to do"

Till we ride again. Enjoy!

This will do it for me on this posting. I would like to THANK Gogodiablo.com (Bruce) for all his help, and advice. and a number of other members who helped with this project. Barrie2777 and Roy Teske for their suggestions and help.

I hope that yous have enjoyed watching my progress for the past 14 months as much as I enjoyed working on it.
5300 views on one's forum postings tells me that you either enjoyed my refurbish, or you were very very bored. :lol:

I Thank you all and please remember to keep the rubber side down.

Jesse

PS: Looking forward to our Next gathering.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500