New guy from Ontario

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
jayvee43
Re: New guy from Ontario

Post by jayvee43 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:00 pm

OK, Update.

I just comeback from the Eganville swap meet. I was not succesfull in finding a 54R motor. I was a little disapointed by the lack of Hirth selection. :?

Anyways, I purchased a plan B if my original won't work out. Here's a picture of the Hus-ski/Diablo/snowbug section

I purchased a complete short block 190R2E 300cc (I'm assuming E is for electric start) and a 193 R4 292cc for the parts I was missing off of the 190R2E. I also purchased a clutch to fit the 190 and a electric startor motor and a hand crank pull start assembly, followed by a box of parts odds and ends for a Hirth.
In all I got 50 dollars in the short block, 40 In the clutch, and 40 in the electric start and recoil assembly.

I hope I done ok,I got away with a motor that i can "Plan b" into my Diablo for a lot less than a complete would cost.

I'll continue on my original motor but this is PLAN B. 8-)

Keep you guys info'd later, for now it is cold here. Hard to work in -20 celcius.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:41 pm

Alright, The bearings came in yesterday.

I was successful in re-assembling it together. I even made a little video. (bad quality, but yous get the picture)

I still can't believe the resurrection was possible. :shock:
(I poored a little gas in the plug hole and cranked. It has no carburator at this time. I still have to overall the carb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVd5SC_ ... e=youtu.be

Check out a couple pics of the re-build first.

There you go: complete "short Block"

I packed the outside of the bearing with enough grease to choke a horse. Help in the re-break in.

If the weather could co-operate. I'd like to go work on the handles and the noze piece. Anyways, I'll post my update later with maybe the engine in the frame. (keep fingers crossed) :roll:
Last edited by jayvee43 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Jesse,

What is the red stuff on the inside of the seal retaining plate?
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:06 am

Bruce, that red stuff is assembly grease.

I installed the new seals in the end plates, filled the lip with red grease (nothing special, just assembly grease), I coated both sides of the gaskets with the same crank flange sealer i used for the crank halfs (red stuff also), and then installed the gasket and end plate onto the case.

Oh yes, I made sure the lips of the seals were well coated with grease. It helps with the break in procedure, they're not dry on the crank.

I can see it being a little confusing. :mrgreen:

Hope that answers what you were asking.

Can you believe it? I taught for sure this motor was toast.

Jesse
Last edited by jayvee43 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:09 am

OK, I'm off today so I started on the wiring and the carburator.

There is 3 wires that comes from the armature, yellow brown and black. (Is there a schematic on this site for them specifically?)

Also, I have a question with the carburator. I have a HR35A. Is this acceptable? (Bruce I could use your expertise on this one.) I'm trying to save this one since the original is completelly rusty on the insides. :!:

It does have a Hi and Lo needle adjustment should not be a problem. What do you think?
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi all,

I've tried to post the wiring diagrams in the past with little luck. Something about the pdf file and the website software that does not agree. Jesse, I did email you the drawing. For those that do not know:

- the brown wire is the motor ground
- the black wire is connected to the points for grounding them out and shutting down the motor
- the yellow wire is from the lighting coil

The carb question may be simple to answer. Myself and others have scowled through numerous parts breakdowns of the Tillotson HR carbs and have come to the conclusion that for many models, there is not much difference. For example, Diablos came from the factory with HR3A and HR14A carbs. The difference? Nothing that I am aware of. Maybe it was the year they were built is all I can figure. So how about a HR1A or a 2A, 3A, 6A and on and on. Many times something very simple is the difference. Like if the choke plate has a hole in it or not, what side the choke lever is on, what hole the cable thimble is in on the throttle shaft, things like that. HR carbs do not have jets in them that I am aware of, so I think much of the bodies are the same. So if you have a carb that is different than the HR3A or 14A, you may have to swap a lever or something, but my guess is they will work fine and be the same regarding fuel/air mix to the engine.

One note though about this is if you ever looked through a crate of HR carbs at a swap meet, holy snikeys! I've seen HR carbs with some really high numbers on them like HR143A. I would stay away from those carbs. Stick with carbs in the lower numbers and you should be alright. I have boxes of carbs if someone needs one. If you want them rebuilt and ready to install, I can get you one of those too.

While I'm talking carbs, one thing I want to pass along this time of year is that if you are starting up your Diablo or Hus Ski for the first time after sitting awhile and it's not pulling gas up the fuel line, don't panic. Remember that the needles are held in their seats under spring tension and they tend to get stuck when not used. Easy fix though. Just pull your fuel line off the carb and shoot a shot of compressed air into the carb inlet. Often you can hear the needle pop off the seat. Re-hook up the fuel line and away you go.

Hope that helps,

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks Bruce for clarifying this about the carburators. (yes i received a very nice detailed wiring diagram in my personal e-mail. Thank you for that also)

Now an update.

Today was much warmer. I made good use of that time.

I started tackling the nose piece. I decided I was gonna try making one from scratch.

It ain't perfect, but I managed and it is better than what I had to work with.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

swen

Post by swen » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Keep up the good work Jesse! Looks great and appreciate the updates! Swen.

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Thanks Swen!

Today I was off so I spent a little more time on the noze tins. I had to fabricate the peices that goes around the chain case, and the hood mount. (don't know the proper name :( )

Anyways you can see by the pictures, it has a brand new stainless hinge and I riveted the pieces together. I think it looks cleaner than welding.

I will fit everything when it gets warmer outside. Mean while, i will clean the work shop and start on the handles.
That promised to be ... another hurdle.

Here's a few more pics of the nose pieces. (yous must be getting tired of looking at pictures hein?) :lol:

I finished the carburator also, here's a few pics.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:54 pm

Alright, I had to go and fit those new parts on the "diablo" and look...at...it. :geek:

See for yourselfs. (I'm having a Beer right now. To celebrate sort of speak)

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500