New guy from Ontario

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Roy Teske
Re: New guy from Ontario

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:16 am

Yes Jesse. That's the 502 idling. It's taken me a lot of miles through some great back-woods solo and always brought me home. I've worked it pretty hard over the last few years. It's getting banged up, but I try to keep the mechanical operation in top shape. Motors coming apart soon for repair. To much play in the clutch side bearing to case area. My new Tundra is going to take some of the load off the Diablo and my snow-shoes. Roy.

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Alright. This is where I'm at. I won't go at it for a couple days to let everything cure. (takes longer for paint to harden in the cold)
I have "fire engine red" for the top side. Is that the right color?

Here's a cool pic. Notice the chain case is now sporting its "original" color. I say cool picture because it finally means progress. I'm starting to believe it will run again. ;) Well: starting...

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:40 pm

Yeah Roy, Those Tundra's are real sweat for breaking trails.

I work on the ones we offer at the dealership and they have Hi/Lo range and reverse. Wide tracks.

My Snowboy is what i will be using to break trails. It is a snowshoe in the soft snow. I broke so many trails in the past with that machine. My wife can follow with the Diablo.

I bought the Diablo to be able to go play in the woods and in case one breaks down, I have a machine to get me out.

Can't wait for real snow to hit us. (every year it seems warmer and warmer) :o
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Hello Jesse,
I just wanted to say how much I have enjoyed reading your posts. I have loved these machines since we had them when I was a kid in the 60’s. I have a 502 and a 444 that I try to keep in good running order. It is kind of a joke here that in the spring when we walk the trails on the farm we look for pieces that have come off so I know what I have to fix for next winter. I still have sprockets to do on the 502 which seems to me like a big job but when I see what you and Bruce and others do it is very encouraging. I think that a few of the hus-ski people might say though, that if you ever need trail broken don’t be afraid to ask for help. It takes quite a bit to get my 444 stuck. Andy
:D

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:47 pm

Well, despite the cold week were having. I managed a few parts welded and painted.

I have been scratching my head as to what to do with my missing rubber bumper on one of my bogie assembly.

I hope this will buy me some time. (its an experiment) .99 Cents Hockey puck.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:33 pm

My Mama told me the'd be days like these.

I moved inside my [wood shop] in the basement because of the cold. I started the engine teardown... :shock:

Can I save this?

I'm not a guy of many words, nor do I have the ability to describe things properly. But this one is pretty mutch self explanotary. (Should i just give up?) I need your advice guys... :cry:

I own a sand blaster cabinet, so anything is possible. I will need to do a complete complete tear down. Is it worth it?
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Jesse,

The most difficult part in this motor to address is the connecting rod and rod bearing. If the rod bearing is good, then the crank bearings, seals, gaskets and even the cylinder and piston can be replaced with reasonable cost. However, if the rod bearing is bad, then you have to purchase an expensive rod kit and find someone capable of splitting the crank shaft and installing the new rod pin and bearing.

Hope that helps,

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:01 pm

OK, Mean while I have kept busy in the cold "bike tent" and applied the first layer of primer. I used armor quote primer in a paint can. Not aerosol. It applies with a paint brush. Very thick. I'm hoping to be able to wet sand and apply another layer and wet sand. Until I get it close to pleasant.

This way hopefully between reasonable tins on the sled, and a refinished hood it may look presentable.

As for the engine, I am working on a way to completely tear it down in order to clean and properly measure all tolerances on the crank. More to follow at a later date.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:34 am

OK, juste a quick weekly update. I have not done much with the Diablo.
However, Mother nature showed up. I'm sure it would have been nice. Good thing I have my '71 Snowboy.

Here's a few more pictures of the snow we got, and the engine awaiting the special tools for tear down.

Today I have a "snow day" off. I'm going to be able to finish my last 4 bogies stations, and Hopefully now that the primer layers have had a chance to harden. I will attempt the red paint. I'll post hopefully later tonight with it.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Well, There ya go! Turns out applying the color was easier and faster. I went with Tremclad Glossy Fire red. It dries very hard. And it will take a clear coat if needed.

Here, I hope this is "rouge" enough.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500