Front sprocket

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Hermy
Front sprocket

Post by Hermy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:44 am

I have finally started to restore my DR502 ,have quickly run into a snag .two questions,one,do you have to take the axel off in order to get the front sprocket off? I have taken the track off,the bogies out but would like to avoid having to remove the clutch and drive gear assembly. Is this possible?
Second Q is how do you free the drive sprocket ,one needs replacing and is rusted on sooooo tight. Have tried 2 types so gear pullers and heat. Any suggestions would be greatly accepted.
Bruce I may have to cut it off unless a poster responders with a miracle solution
Herman

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Front sprocket

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Hello Herman. Good questions.

Getting the axle far enough forward for the sprockets to clear bogie rails is not possible without taking the front nose tin and bumper off. At that point, you might as well remove the gearbox from the chassis. Removing the gearbox give you the opportunity to check it over good as well as inspecting the mount slot in the post of the chassis for wear. Also gives you the opportunity to check for cracks in the chassis where the bumper brackets mount.

To get the sprockets off the shaft, they should be removed with the use of a bearing puller and a press. This is the only way I know to get them off without damaging them. If standard pullers are used on the outer edges of the sprockets, the sprocket hubs will surely get bent and be useless for cores.

See the link below for more details and pictures of how to get sprockets off.

http://www.gogodiablo.com/?page_id=218
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX