Warped Tracks

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Warped Tracks

Post by Go Go Diablo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi all,

The straightness of Diablo tracks has always mystified me. I've unrolled brand new tracks still in the factory bindings only to find them warped inches from end to end. I've seen so many warped tracks and always wonder why:

- Has one side of the track been in the sunlight versus the other?
- Are enough cleats bent that it's warping the track?
- Is warping a result of being too tight or too loose on the machine?
- Maybe the way they are stored?

What would you all say?

Maybe the more important question is how can a warped track be straightened. My latest attempt was to hang the tracks on the wall and hang a heavy weight on the short side of the track hoping to stretch the rubber.

Any thoughts on a better way?

Bruce
DSC02297.JPG
DSC02297.JPG (164.03KiB)Viewed 4872 times
DSC02298.JPG
DSC02298.JPG (148.95KiB)Viewed 4872 times
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

bottomsupduckclub

Re: Warped Tracks

Post by bottomsupduckclub » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:21 am

Here's my 2 cent's. I beleive that the rubber get "warped" when it was originally cut. I've seen things lilke this while at work. When a person or machine cuts the material it has a natural "curl" or "warp". Just a thought
69 Diablo "503"
72 Kitty cat
74 JD 295s (1 1/2X)
7? Jdx8
81 Spitfire
80 Liquifire CUSTOM
94 Indy
94 XCR 440

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Bruce, Happy New Year! Well, any one that has taken a few of these machines apart has found the same to be true on occasion when they are laid out flat on the shop floor. To quote a very experienced Hus-Ski/ Diablo owner- " take the tracks, and throw them in the river". :) Translation: get them wet. These have benn sitting around a long time and the cloth reinforcement has shrunk, as well as the rubber.Hus-Skis were designed with 4"on inside and 6" on outside to float and turn easier. I have found that the 4" on original machines has usually failed due to its thin ply. I have seen this on the 444 also. I would say the best thing to do is put a closely matched curved pair together on a machine, making sure the longer length is toward the middle of machine,and put it into the wet snow and run it. they will stretch as they may. If the inner length is longer on the inside on both sides, the machine should go straight,and mabe even turn a little easier.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 am

I must say that your reply Mike is a far more intelligent answer than I could have ever thought of. Thanks for your thoughts too Dave.

Maybe I should just dunk them in a barrel of water for a few days and try and stretch them out.

Anyway, good thoughts my friends,

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi Bruce, I have torn down several 444 tracks that have had worn or rotten wood. It is surprising how different the lengths are. I then proceed to put a closely matched set of 4 together. Then, put a bottle of armor all to them. Then assemble with new maple cleats and skids. Then almost cant even shoehorn them on the machine at the smallest adjustment :o . Then, as they are put in snow, adjusted several times they grow in length. One side is now longer than the other on one machine, looking at the adjustment screws. It runs down a straight path however! I still like the idea of having the top side of the track supported so that a lot of the tension is relieved.