turning a 503 into a 502

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Barrie2777
turning a 503 into a 502

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:12 pm

This is one of my lastest "jewels". Most concider it such a treasure I should bury it now. All that being said, it is a curious machine with a few owner/operator options/mods. Firstly the handlebars have a "fold down" option when the two large wing nuts are removed (or loosened) . I'm not sure which way prevails because of rusted mechanisms. Secondly, all the louvres on the top of the hood have been sealed with caulking and a layer of faom has been glued to the underside of the hood...probably to retain heat. The cake pan over the nacelle is a nice touch. Thirdly, the hood is from a 503, the handlebars are from a 502 (welded on), the base is from a 503 ( battery place) with the serial number 30562 but the engine is a 502 and the post supporting the base of the engine only has two support rubbers rather than the three found on a 503. Photos will follow as the ones I took will not load now.

Barrie2777

Re: turning a 503 into a 502

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I forgot to mention the rack which was attached to the hood and the front, center mounted spot light......oh man.......this machine did everything!!!

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Barrie, Sheesh, if these machines could talk or had a "black box" like a modern airplane. These things started their lives very well engineered and tested. Then Bolens got ahold of them and besides the addition of the Salsbury clutches, all other changes were not so good,in my opinion.My guess is that a previous owner had his knees cracked one too many times by those handlebars and tried to hinge them up. The foam is confusing, musta been kids? LOL! I am often shocked when I see what has happened to some of these machines. I mean, I have a Diablo that had to have been dropped off the side of a cliff, it took such a hard lick! People ran the s@#t out of some of these things. And just look at the hole on the dash on some Hus-Skis and see how the wire rope of the pull start wore WAY into it. a lot of pulling and not so much looking to see why is it not starting? :|

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:49 am

Just wait until you see the seater.......it is a cut off HUS-SKI seater with a Diablo spring and "U" channel aluminum skiis.