Model 500 sprocket replacement

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
CTHal
Model 500 sprocket replacement

Post by CTHal » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:45 pm

I have searched high and low, and can't seem to find a manual for my Diablo Rouge model 500. I need to replace a stripped drive sprocket, and I guess I should replace all of them while I am there. But....... I could use an outline of how to proceed. I figure if I was able to replace the clutch on my 2000 BMW R1100RTP police motorcycle, I can handle this job.....with a few tips. Thanks. Hal

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Re: Model 500 sprocket replacement

Post by Go Go Diablo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:43 pm

Hi Hal,

First off, we have a technical packet available that has all the available manuals for the Diablos, the motors, the clutches and the carb along with a few other odds and ends. The packets are $25 which include shipping.

However, there are very few repair instruction manuals out there to help guide you in such a process as replacing sprockets. The link to the gearbox page at gogodiablo.com is below. That will tell you some information.

http://www.gogodiablo.com/?page_id=218

In summary, this is how I would tackle putting sprockets on.

- Remove the hood mount with the hood still attached to it. Drain the gas. Pull the top pin out of the gearbox (may need to pull the secondary clutch off to do this). Flip the unit over and set it on a good pair of saw horses. Your 500 may not have a fill hole in the top of it, but put a drain pan under the gearbox as it may leak oil out.
- Remove the tracks and take them completely off. Unbolt the front nose tin and bumper brackets and remove this assembly.
- Now you can pull your gearbox out. From here, you might consider rebuilding the gearbox as long as you have it out. At a minimum, I would drill a fill hole into the top of the gearbox so you can add about 4 ounces of oil when you put it back together.
- Replace the sprockets. For your 500, the sprocket hubs will be 1" wide. The 502/3 sprockets are 1-1/4" wide. Once installed, I use a center punch and punch around the keyway of the sprocket just enough to slightly cave in the keyway. This stops the key from walking out. Then install the "E" clip.
- Reassemble. Before flipping it back over, install the top gearbox pin and adjust the tracks. I like loose tracks. As long as they do not slap while driving, I think they are tight enough. Both track adjuster bolts should be adjusted so they stick out the same on each side. This ensures the gearbox is square in the chassis.

Does that help?

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:32 pm

hey Bruce...it would have been easier to say take evrything apart except the handlebars.

fap67

Post by fap67 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Or buy a Hus-ski instead!!!!!

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:09 am

It's not as bad as you think. I do it in about 3 to 4 hours. :D
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

CTHal

Post by CTHal » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:32 am

Bruce, thanks for the info....it is exactly what I needed to get me going. Easier to understand than a lot of car and truck repair manuals I have seen! I am going to take pictures during the job, so I remember where everything came from...and where it goes back to. Hal