What should be in the toolbox?

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
What should be in the toolbox?

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 am

Hi all,

I've been thinking about what would be a good package of parts / tools to recommend putting in the toolbox of your Diablo to help insure a return home after a long day of riding. I know some of you out there may have experieced a mis-hap or two on your trecks out into the bush and I'd be interested in what you all have to say. You Hus Skis Guys - just behave now. I don't want to hear a bunch of smart ass remarks :D

Ok you mustard guys - if you have a few, that would be funny too.

Some things I can think of include:

- A spare recoil cause with 4 bolts, it's easier to replace than tearing a recoil apart on the trail.
- Of course, plugs and a plug wrench.
- Spare keys and E Clips for the drive sprockets (cause they have been known to fall out).
- Spare key and E Clip for the Secondary Clutch (for the same reason above).
- Can of carb cleaner for cold starts or a gummed up carb.
- Spare Throttle Cables and carb return springs (no body wants to see a Diablo flying by without a driver).
- Spare drive belt.
- Spare clips for the hood latch and ski seater to chassis mount.
- 2-cycle oil and a small gas can in case you need to mix on the trail.
- Needed tools to address the above parts.

What else can you suggest?
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Red Devil 500

Re: What should be in the toolbox?

Post by Red Devil 500 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:45 am

SPARE PARTS !!!???n I just get on my Hus Ski and ride!!Bruce you are scaring me!LOL LOL!But I was having some spare bogies painted and ready to take with me and track lace rods.

Sean
502 Diablo
444 Hus Ski
1963 Autoboggen
1962 L55 Polaris
1972 Raider 290
1976 Peterbourgh 18'5ft 165
2007 Honda Rubicon 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:21 pm

The last time I saw a Hus Ski just "Ride", I also saw Barrie rebuilding a recoil. X?it Happens.

But, you bring up some good suggestions Sean. A guy never knows when he has to pull a track off for some reason. Or, to have a spare for someone else. So a spare set of lacer pins is a great idea. Not sure I would haul spare bogie assemblies, but a spare tire or two might be a good idea too.

Any other suggestions ya all?
Yamaha 600 SX

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:09 pm

This is some of what I carry. It's a work in progress. I too carry a spare recoil in my pack. Also a small air pump to pop that needle off its seat. Lets see.... gas anti-freeze. spare belt, krazy-karpet. tow rope.........
IMG_2043.JPG
IMG_2043.JPG (169.24KiB)Viewed 5080 times
Attachments
IMG_2042.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG (142.88KiB)Viewed 5080 times
IMG_2051.JPG
IMG_2051.JPG (161.79KiB)Viewed 5080 times

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Ok...I've attempted to stay away from this thead but now its is just impossible. Compared to my fellow Diablo rider who's tools flow from his tool box like lava from a volcano, I find the tools in the photo all that is nesessary to fix most HUS-SKI problems. The wrench is a 10mm to get that recoil off (occasionally they have caused problems on the trail...so I've heard). The chain joining link is important in case the clip comes off. The rest is basic tools. Bungis cords are helpful also.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Now your talkin. Those are some excellent pictures Roy! And some of the other things you have in your box make great sense like a little fuel line, tie wraps and stuff. Along with that, an actual "toolbox" to put in your toolbox.

Thanks for setting it all up and snapping some pictures.

You all have been a great help.
Yamaha 600 SX

Red Devil 500

Post by Red Devil 500 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey Roy

Yes I said "just get on and ride" in small print on the other side of the e mail post it also says (NEVER SHUT IT OFF IF YOU CAN EVEN GET IT STARTED)LOL LOL

Sean
502 Diablo
444 Hus Ski
1963 Autoboggen
1962 L55 Polaris
1972 Raider 290
1976 Peterbourgh 18'5ft 165
2007 Honda Rubicon 500

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:12 pm

Hope you can join us this year in Val Des Bois. You're not to far away for the ocassional day trip. I'll bring my volcano.... I mean toolbox. Some of the places we go, it's easier by far to drive the machines home. One very important item I forgot to mention is a short length of 1/4" rope. You can use it to start a 503 or JLO if the recoil fails. Unfortunately , that won't work on the 502. Ergo the recoil in the pack. First trip out I had to use it.

snocatpete

Post by snocatpete » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:20 pm

I think a spare ignition key would be a smart thing to have, hidden in the tool box or on the machine itself somewhere. Should the ignition key get lost in deep powder snow in the middle of a ride, it would not be fun to disconnect wires to try and get the machine started to get home. This is something I would keep handy but in a safe hidden place so no one could take my machine for a joy ride!!

devil dog

Post by devil dog » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Although I never had one break, I like to carry a spare "tank turett" or plastic inlet nipple for the carb. Or better yet, a spare carb and the special bent open end wrench to get the nuts off and on.