Storing Diablos for the summer

A place for all your Diablo Rouge Questions or just a place to shoot the bull about those little Red Devils.
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Storing Diablos for the summer

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi all,

This time of year, I get a number of inquiries asking what is the best way to store a Diablo for the summer. I have some thoughts which I'll share below, but I'm also interested what others have to share. This is what I do.

- Start the engine and drive the Diablo about 5 feet.
- Pop the top oil cap off the gearbox and make sure the chain is wet with oil. If not, add about 4 ounces of oil and move it again about 5 feet to lubricate the chain and sprockets.
- With the engine running, pour or spray fogging oil down the carb.
- Drain all the gas out of the tank and lines.
- Wipe some oil on the clutch faces to stop them from rusting.
- Cover the muffler outlet and carb to keep the critters out.
- If your bogie stations have lubrication zerks, lube them. I use oil to lubricate bogie stations.
- Put a couple of drops of oil on the ball joint under the dash.
- Store the tractor on a pallet off the ground.
- Store the ski seater off the ground to keep the skis dry.

If your Diablo is an electric start 503 with the starter down under the motor, consider verifying the starter is clean and dry inside. If you were driving around in lots of powdery snow, the snow can melt in by the flywheel and the water can run down into the starter. The best way to do this is to remove the clutch and pull the starter off the motor.

Of course, now would also be a great time to look over your Diablo for needed repairs. It's better to work on them during the warmth of summer than in the rush of fall when the snow starts to fly.

That is my two cents. Anybody have comments or other suggestions?

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

duke

Re: Storing Diablos for the summer

Post by duke » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:08 pm

For storing a Hus-Ski for the summer, just drive into the shed or barn and turn off. When cold weather returns and it begins snowing [ a good 1-2 feet] pull rewind 2-3 times until started and enjoy another season of riding. Thanks Bruce , From Duke

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:45 pm

Earl,

You described the way I store my ax. Of course, my log splitter gets a little more attention when I store it away because I expect it to perform when I need it. My ax is painted yellow too.

Hmmmmm......... :D

Oh, and this is one way to store a ski seater. How are other guys storing their seater's? They are always a clumsy thing.
DSC03378.JPG
DSC03378.JPG (152.49KiB)Viewed 20313 times
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Not much room in my shed Bruce. I wanted to build a 2X4 unit to fit over the engine units to set the seaters on but I have to change the sprockets on the Diablo and I want to put metal cleats on the 444 so I need to be able to get at them over the summer. I know this looks like a mess but this is after we went down and saw your shop and my wife made me clean mine up. Andy
Attachments
husski storage2.jpg
husski storage2.jpg (45.07KiB)Viewed 20292 times
husski storage.jpg
husski storage.jpg (46.11KiB)Viewed 20292 times

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:48 pm

My Diablo is up on stands awaiting it's yearly maintenance. This year the engine is going to get repairs. I have excessive play in the clutch side crank bearing ( outer race to case ). Thanks to Bruce, the cylinder will be from a 190R and have a .040 over piston. I'm also going to add a primer to see how it works. I give the Diablo a complete check up every summer... repair, replace, adjust as needed. My Tundra is currently taking up my time. It's a 2005 and I'm surprised at what needs being done. It will be a big help in breaking the miles of trails we have at our camp, hauling gear or towing me out. Oh yes, the gray water system has been repaired at the hunt camp. No more throwing it out the window. Have a good summer guys. We'll be back on the snow before you know it.
tundra OH 028.JPG
tundra OH 028.JPG (165.9KiB)Viewed 20261 times

tundra OH 027.JPG
tundra OH 027.JPG (181.72KiB)Viewed 20261 times
tundra OH 024.JPG
tundra OH 024.JPG (184.16KiB)Viewed 20261 times

[

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:33 pm

I have a general question on snowmobile repair not related to Diablos. The cross-shafts in my 2005 Tundra are both seized. The rear is a steel shaft in a steel tube. The front is an aluminum shaft in a steel tube . Does anyone have a tried and true way to free them up and salvage them. I have torches, a press and lots of time. So far no luck. Any advice or details of your experience would be appreciated. Thanks. Roy.

myoldhus-ski

Post by myoldhus-ski » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:22 pm

I suggest applying Aero Kroil. It is the best penetrating oil that I have found. Stand the shafts on their end and keep applying it to the top. It should work its way down. Good Luck. Jim

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks Jim. Researching Aero Kroil , I found it is definitely one of the best. I don't think it's available in Eastern Canada though. I found this comparison, which is interesting. I'll try the home brew and see what happens and try and find the Kroil oil. Can't upload the txt. file. Here is the url. Scroll half-way down the page for the penetrating oil comparison.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/where-find-kroil-876253/

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:21 am

The home brew penetrating fluid worked as well as any other fluid I've used. It's a 50:50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. It was no miracle fix though. It still took a lot of coaxing with heat and a press to get things apart. Try it sometime and see how it works for you.

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:54 am

The little Tundra is finally ready. I can now start on the Diablo and have it ready for the new year's runs. A huge thank-you to Bruce and Mike for combining to get me a new set of skis from Green Bay to Gatineau.I hope I can return the favour some day. Also, hats off to "THEMOTOSOURCE" store in Green Bay. These guys are great. They were answering my questions before I could even ask them. What are the odds that I would find a set of clearance priced skis on Ebay 15 miles from Bruce's house. It's a small world indeed. We had snow flurries on the weekend. It won't be long now. Roy.
Tundra R skis 016.JPG
Tundra R skis 016.JPG (161.62KiB)Viewed 19858 times