Hus Ski ED's Place !! (Great Stories)

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
Barrie2777
Re: Hus Ski ED's Place !! (Great Stories)

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 pm

More great stuff coming from Ed. I've never heard these names before. What can you tell us about Fred Fasbender and sam Smeaton?

HUS-SKI ED 1961

Post by HUS-SKI ED 1961 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

The story of Fred Fassbender and John Smeaton will be coming soon.

Ed

HUS-SKI ED 1961

Post by HUS-SKI ED 1961 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:38 pm

:D Yes, I am alive and well. In August 2011, I ruptured two disks in my back and the surgery and recovery was long and very painful.

As of now I plan to go to the Finch reunion and I am hoping that someone will lend me a Hus-ski for the trail ride on Saturday.

I know this is a huge request but I don't want to just stand around for the day. I may not be able to ride for more than a few minutes but I want to try.

Sorry, Diablo friends, your machines are too heavy and I would never be able to handle them.

I look forward to seeing everyone.

Ed Mackisoc

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:50 pm

Great to hear from you again Ed. Look forward to seeing you in Finch and hearing more stories . Roy.

HUS-SKI ED 1961

Post by HUS-SKI ED 1961 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Thank you Roy. I look forward to seeing you as well. I am very happy to be back.

Ed

HUS-SKI ED 1961

Post by HUS-SKI ED 1961 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Reply to an old question about JLO engines and Model 200-A clutches from WALLIS 1924

We designed and had various suppliers make the clutch. The aluminum parts of the drive clutch were made by Speciallloid Ind. in St. Eustache, Quebec. We had a pattern maker in Ville D'Anjou, Quebec make a wooden pattern and Specialloid used that to make a sand mold and hand cast the clutches. Specialloid also cast the track drive sprockets. As our volume increased we needed to go to a multi cavity mold but we did not have the money.
The driven sheave flanges were stamped on a punch press by April Machining and the clutch counter weights were made the same way then heat treated. The other parts were made up and welded in our shop. We had to go to April because we only had two punch presses and they were running two shifts.
The first order for JLO engines was 100 and eventually the orders went up to 500 each.
The orders required an irrevocable letter of credit before they were shipped, in other words we put the money in the bank "in trust" before shipping and when the engines arrived Jlo were paid. Very tough terms for us because winter shipments by ship went overland by truck to a German port, ship to Halifax and train to Montreal. This took as long as six weeks. In the summer it took about three or four weeks.
We suffered from lack of money all the time until Bolens took over.

Ed

HUS-SKI ED 1961

Post by HUS-SKI ED 1961 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:52 pm

HUS-SKI ED 1961 wrote:Reply to an old question about JLO engines and Model 200-A clutches from WALLIS 1924

We designed and had various suppliers make the clutch. The aluminum parts of the drive clutch were made by Speciallloid Ind. in St. Eustache, Quebec. We had a pattern maker in Ville D'Anjou, Quebec make a wooden pattern and Specialloid used that to make a sand mold and hand cast the clutches. Specialloid also cast the track drive sprockets. As our volume increased we needed to go to a multi cavity mold but we did not have the money.
The driven sheave flanges were stamped on a punch press by April Machining and the clutch counter weights were made the same way then heat treated. The other parts were made up and welded in our shop. We had to go to April because we only had two punch presses and they were running two shifts.
The first order for JLO engines was 100 and eventually the orders went up to 500 each.
The orders required an irrevocable letter of credit before they were shipped, in other words we put the money in the bank "in trust" before shipping and when the engines arrived Jlo were paid. Very tough terms for us because winter shipments by ship went overland by truck to a German port, ship to Halifax and train to Montreal. This took as long as six weeks. In the summer it took about three or four weeks.
We suffered from lack of money all the time until Bolens took over.

Ed

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Barrie was having a hard time getting his computer to crank over in this cold weather, so he sent me this to post for him.

This is Murray McNaughton. He worked for Bolens in St Claire Quebec up to the end of the diablos. He was part of the design team. The scissor type hitch on this machine was apparently a prototype for the Diablos. He brought this base home when the plant closed. The base is very similar to the prototype one I have. It also has sliders.
Murry01.jpeg
Murry01.jpeg (132.03KiB)Viewed 8357 times
Murry McNaughton 02.jpg
Murry McNaughton 02.jpg (28.93KiB)Viewed 8357 times
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

HUS-SKI ED 1961

Post by HUS-SKI ED 1961 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:39 pm

Hi,
Yes I know Murray, he was part of the Smeaton, Fassbender gang from the Arnprior, Carlton Place area in Ontario. He was a mechanic in the testing and prototype department. I took him and Fassbender and someone else on a trip to test machines in Val D'Or, Quebec.
I have never seen this machine or hitch. It may have been something they made after Bolens.
Did you meet him in Eganville?

Ed
Last edited by HUS-SKI ED 1961 on Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 pm

yes I spoke with him for quite a while. I think he is 84 years young. I have his phone number and hope to get him onto this site for more valuable input. The scissor hitch made the seater turn corners rather than drag around them. This was what was done with bob sleds that horses drew. I think it creates a seriously dangerous "pinch" point.