replacement drive cogs

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
Barrie2777
replacement drive cogs

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:17 pm

I am looking into buying material to make reproduction drive cogs. There exists UHMW but apparently it may be too soft for a drive cog application. Compression around the bolts which go through the cog, would eventually occur. Another product which is used to protect heavy equipment blades from wearing out on concrete and pavement would appear to be the "right stuff". It is black/grey in color but comes in 2 x 4 ft sheets at a cost of approximately $600 or $40 per cog before machineing. My esitmate is that a machined cog would cost double that or $150 for a set of repro cogs. They would certainly be strong and last many lifetimes if built as I have done. (see the Diablo cogs on this site) I would like to know if there is any interest in me making these cogs before I outlay the cash for this product. The metal plates to secure the cog are not in this cost estimate.

devil dog

Re: replacement drive cogs

Post by devil dog » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:43 pm

I would buy a set. I looked at the pics of the first ones you had made. I would like to make a suggestion on the metal plates. For the rear ones, wouldn't be better to have one plate half with a hub that went all the way through so the bearing would be pressed into one solid piece of steel instead of two plates bolted together? The other side could be a bolted on ring that would hold the cog in place but the bearing would be fully in the first half. The same idea for the front- a keyed one piece hub all the way though in first half with the other side bolted through to hold the cog on. It would be good peace of mind knowing your drive cogs are not going to grenade at any given moment! Funny we never have that worry with a Hus-Ski! ;)

Barrie2777

Re: replacement drive cogs

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Yes, I like both those ideas. I am under the impression that this material is so tough that there would be no need for a second plate...just bolt it through and secure with washer and nut. The two plate system is probably simplier to make sice only 1/4" plate material is needed. With a central hub and a plate they would best be made from two pieces and welded together rather than turned from one larger piece. Hopefully we have someone out there who specializes in that type of work and would be willing to help.