Cabin photos

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
Roy Teske
Cabin photos

Post by Roy Teske » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:44 pm

After the great weekend, Bruce hosted a few of us up at his cabin in northern Wisconsin. Can't thank you enough Bruce. I hope we can get together again soon for another ride. Here are a few photos. I'll post a few more of the ride later. It was tough to get much video. I needed both hands to drive in that big swamp. Roy.
IMG_0646A.jpg
IMG_0646A.jpg (200.85KiB)Viewed 7219 times
IMG_0664A.jpg
IMG_0664A.jpg (199.87KiB)Viewed 7219 times
IMG_0699A.jpg
IMG_0699A.jpg (230.36KiB)Viewed 7219 times
Last edited by Roy Teske on Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jano

Re: Cabin photos

Post by Jano » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:06 pm

Bruce,
Want to thank you for a great week. Hope we get together again soon for another ride, maybe our way next year?
Thanks again for everything.
Jeannot.

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Beautiful country for snowmobiling. I finally tracked down the guys in this huge swamp full of black spruce. The snow was deep, the temperature was mild and the diablos were running hot.
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG (125.31KiB)Viewed 7199 times
IMG_0678A.jpg
IMG_0678A.jpg (200.38KiB)Viewed 7199 times
IMG_0681A.jpg
IMG_0681A.jpg (124.14KiB)Viewed 7199 times

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Ive been waiting patiently for one of those Diablo riders to give a full account of the riding done at Bruce's camp but I may have to submit my own report very soon.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Looks like those Diablo riders are sitting at home with their fingers crossed hoping the full report doesn't happen. I'll try and be gentle with the facts but fact are facts. First I'll have to clarify a few definitions specific to the machines.

Definition #1: Diablo at rest. This usually means : engine stopped, hood up, rider clasping the side of his head muttering something in a foreign language. He could be simultaneously walking in circles, kicking at the snow.
Definition # 2: HUS-SKI at rest. This usually means engine idling at about 500 rpm, hood down (preventing any kicked snow from landing on the engine), rider relaxing on his seater drinking a cold beverage. Number of beverages depends on duration of " Definition #1".
Definition #3: Diablo rider foot wear. Good walking shoes

Eight of us headed north to the cabin with seven Diablos and two HUS-SKIs. One Diablo was already a no go due to starting issues while at Port Washington and one of Randy's machines had not been trail tested so it also stayed on the trailer. Now five Diablos and two HUS-SKIs. Remember...eight guys! There was some urgency to get to the cabin due to a certain important football game so Bruce's son Mike quickly transported all goods with his Yamaha and sleigh while the vintage riders prepared their machines for the short ride in. Not wanting to have Jano walk in (lacking def #3) so he rode as the second passenger on a 10 hp HUS-SKI...not on one of those 16 hp Diablos. Due to a choke butterfly creeping closed, he only had to dismount once (def #3) to make it up those long , gradual hills to the cabin. The snow was soft and abundant.

My report of the second day will follow soon.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Monday was to be our full day of riding. All machines were in at the camp. We only had to retrieve our gas and hit the trails and soft snow. Before I go any farther there should be a few more machine specific definitions.

Definition #4: HUS-SKI at play: Frolicking in the deep powder, climbing drifted hills
Definition #5: Diablo at play: Following the trail of a HUS-SKI, definition #1

After a magnificent breakfast cooked up by our host, we set forth to get our fuel for the day. Four Diablos and two HUS-SKIs all made it to the road but now things start to get interesting. Randy's 503 was having "issues" so it was trailered, his 502 driven by Rick was still performing. Now we are down to four Diablos and two HUS-SKIs! Bruce decided to pull out his 500 to do some riding however it had "issues" ultimately diagnosed as "major carb problem". Looking bad ....but low and behold!! Roy carries a spare carb in his bucket of tools and parts!! Who other than Roy would carry this?? While we are buzzing around changing a carb and trailering machines, Rick goes flying by on the 502 and around the corner. With the carb issue settled and the 500 running again I go for a spin to warm up my 400. Having forgotten about Rick, I thought a local resident was joking around when a saw someone hitch hiking on the side of the road as I approached. It was Rick!!(definition #3). He tells me his machine was going so good he just wanted to ride it while it was running well. He continues to say that it is up the road a "ways". So I taxi him for at least a mile to determine the spark plug wire had fallen off (definition #1). We both drove back to the trucks, meeting Al on his way to find me. Now with everyone at the trucks, we gather our gas and head back to camp...down one machine. I offer to take Rick back to camp but apparently just as he was to sit on my seat, I accelerated so fast I left him standing in the snow. (definition #3). Back I go to get him, then return to the camp. A riding day which had early beginings, will now begin at 1 pm, I've used half a tank of gas rescuing riders, taxing tools etc but the memories will last forever.

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Seriously!!! Roy carries a spare carb in his bucket of tools and parts!! :o

I think that's a good Idea. I'd carry half a Hus-ski in my seater if it would help the team yellow from slowing things down in those runs in Chalk River. 8-)

But seriously though. I agree with Barrie, A couple of pics and video's for those of us left behind on this anniversary party. ;)

Side note: My brother and I put on 4 hours of riding on my machines last Saturday.

1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:55 am

You'd be surprised what I carry with me on such a long adventure far from home......... spare track, clutch, bogie stations, many tools to repair hus-skis. etc. I should carry an oxygen bottle or two for the Hus-ski riders who sometimes breath in too many of their exhaust fumes and become confused and contract selective memory loss. I can't think of a way I'd rather have fun and with such a great dedicated group. The memories are priceless. Constance Bay Run goes Feb. 19th. The tree line is open and the trail is off the river, once we cross the Ottawa. Hope to see some of you there .
Roy

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:41 pm

On to the afternoon ride which is supposed to be in a swamp. After the usual theatrics of getting all machines running, Jano decides to stay at camp because the loaner 502 isn't running well enough to venture into the "SWAMP". Ok, just for a second lets take count...Dan on HUS-SKi, Barrie on HUS-SKI, Al on 503, Roy on 502, Bruce on 500. Off we go (to the swamp...only one way to get there) two riders turn left, three turn right and of those three, two take another right and end up back at the camp. Great start. Eventually Barrie, Dan, Al And Bruce end up at the edge of the "SWAMP". def #1. The goal is to reach the other side of a tract of land which must have been 50 acres in size. The swamp can be seen in one of Roy's photos .. short shrubbery, trees but certainly navigable however we were instructed to follow the edge. (Def #4) Off I go leading the way (def #5) some how always tending to go into the trees (def #1). After a few more stops (def #1) we decide it better to return on our trail an not continue circumnavigating the swamp. Eventually Mike and Rick show up on the modern machines in case a rescue is necessary. On the way back to camp Bruce instructs me to take a right on an unbroken trail.(def #4) Good trail, drifted and full of snow. At the top of the hill I stop to let the others catch up as they are not in sight. Then I lay down on my seater taking in the warmth of the sun...still no one coming. I go back down the trail to find all is good. (def #1,def #5). This trail led back to camp where we celebrated the day with a great fish fry by Rick.

Jano

Post by Jano » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:56 am

Ah the memories of a great trip. As Roy said so well, I can't think of a better bunch of guys to spend that time with. My 503 was parked in the trailer but Bruce gave me the chance to ride on one of his 503. Thanks for that Bruce and the 2 days went by so fast, even without my 503 running. Hope we meet again soon.
Oh yeah, what Barrie said is all true. Thanks Barrie for being nice to me and not making me walk in or out.
Jeannot