2015 Hus Ski / Diablo Get Together

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
Go Go Diablo
Site Admin
Re: 2015 Hus Ski / Diablo Get Together

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

Mother Nature has dealt a cruel hand to the 2015 Hus Ski / Diablo Get Together. NO SNOW! For that reason, the event in Finch was cancelled. I apologize to everyone who had made plans to attend.

However, with bad news of the cancellation, another host has offered an opportunity to gather, enjoy company and ride.

Larry Gendron, his buddy the infamous Pooper, Barrie Graham and a group of riders show up in Chalk River, Ontario every year to ride for a day or two. This will be the 25th year of this gathering and that alone is special. Larry extends a welcome for all who want to come and ride with the group on Saturday, February 7th.

For those travelling, there are several places to stay in Deep River which is about 10 miles from Chalk River. They include the Bear's Den, Deep River Motel and the Pine Motel. If you show up on Friday, you may be able to enjoy a ride Friday afternoon with the early group.

The main gathering will be on Saturday with the first ride heading out about 10 in the morning. After a couple hours on the trail, we plan to meet back at the cabin area for lunch. Early afternoon offers another ride and a chance to get some snow under those skis. It is sure to be a day of fun and a chance to meet many enthusiasts that share a common passion.

These rides take place on governmental land, so no trail passes will be required. If you are coming from the US to ride in Canada and are unfamiliar with that process, let me know. You will provide your own food and drink. There will be fires, grills or something to heat up your food. A place to go to warm up if needed.

This is an RSVP event. Everyone is welcome, but because it is being offered with such short notice, all the details are not yet set. So with that, I need to know who is coming so we can communicate those details to help make this the best event of your winter!

Hope to hear from a bunch of you soon!

Happy Trails Everyone!

Bruce
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:31 pm

This year's door prize at the Chalk River event. Anybody who shows up with a Hus Ski or Diablo is eligible.

Hope to see many of you there!

Bruce
IMG_0069.JPG
IMG_0069.JPG (137.22KiB)Viewed 8664 times
Yamaha 600 SX

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Barrie has also created a custom decal commemorating the 25th anniversary of this event. All who attend gets one.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:58 am

I have two 444's, a single track 600 and the HUS-SKI prototype ready to go to Chalk river. Reports from Larry is that there is good snow coverage. I am also working on a list of preordered parts. If you need anything HUS-SKI related, just drop me an email at husskibarrie@gmail.com

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Are you guys sure I can come ride with a bunch of Diablos and Hus-ski's with my 1971 Snowbug?
Reason I'm asking is because I have to reserve a U-haul trailer for the trip from Renfrew to Chalk-River.
I am meeting with Bruce for a large purchase, and would like to hang around and ride with yous for a day.

(Next Year I will have my 500 Diable available for this type of get together.)

If there are no objections, i will call and reserve my U-Haul trailer.

Please let me know.

Jesse
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 am

Hus Ski and Diablos owners are not weird in that way. We appreciate all vintage sleds and welcome them with open arms. More important than the physical machine is the friends you make, the conversations you have and the experiences you share in this community of enthusiasts.

Bruce
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:39 pm

I should warn you that the poparatzi show up fast when a machine fails to perform but when you drive something other than HUS-SKI you may be permanently blinded by the flash bulbs.

On another note, I have been driving my machines to find small mechanical issues and ensure they work during the ride. So far I have changed one broken cleat, a pair of sliders, rewired a light switch , unseized two frozen key switches, lubricated a recoil against freeze up, welded a muffler, tightened tracks, changed a pair of skiis, put a new ski seater together, painted some seater parts, made some toe clips, replaced a brake cable, made a longer chain tensioning bolt and did a few carb adjustments. I though I was done until today when the handlebars on my 444 broke off on the left side. During the welding some gas caught on fire and I didn't know whether I should run for it or throw some snow...I threw snow and saved the 444 (not to mention my workshop!) The handlebars are now welded, painted and hopefully good as new.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:53 pm

Yikes, after reading that, maybe you should leave those Hus Skis at home and bring your Diablos! :D

Well, I should not make fun. I took a good look at my 503 this past fall and found the idler sprockets needed replacement along with a couple of cleats. Did a few other things to it too. Guess that is what is going to happen when you drive them around.

Chalk River is just around the corner!
Yamaha 600 SX

jayvee43

Post by jayvee43 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:45 am

Well guys, I live just 100km East of Chalk River. about one hour away. AND we got some nice fresh snow. I just came in from clearing my driveway with my loader tractor. Then I took the snowbug out for a quick rip down the street. The snow is just the right fluff. IT will pack just nice. Just taught I`d say that. ;)

Cant wait till next Saturday.
1971 Snowbug
1967 Diablo rouge 500

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Changed a pair of skiis today on the third machine going to chalk river. That should be the end of preparations for the hus-skis. Just a pile of parts to make for guys that ordered stuff and load the trailer.

...and Diablo drivers bring sun glasses. You'll need protection against the flash bulbs or you'll be seeing red spots for weeks.