OIL & GAS MIX

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
Bart_Bolens_Diablo
OIL & GAS MIX

Post by Bart_Bolens_Diablo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Hi all. I'm in S.E. Wis where we have reformulated Winter Blend Gas. That said, I'm wondering what is the suggested Mix ratio and is synthetic recomended over Petrolium based 2-cycle oils.
I'd like to hear from a few of you guys before I burn up an otherwise nice used 190 in my 503.
Go-G0 Diablo
Bart Gaffney
Oconomowoc, WI

Bart_Bolens_Diablo

Re: OIL & GAS MIX

Post by Bart_Bolens_Diablo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Wow... 23 views and no replies?

C'mon guys... a little help here.

Where's the Bolens love?
Go-G0 Diablo
Bart Gaffney
Oconomowoc, WI

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:30 pm

As a HUS-SKI guy I may not be too concerned about what goes into the Diablo tank.... however I mix 32:1 for either my HUS-SKIs or Diablos using regular oil with high test gas from SHELL. I have not used synthetic oil and cannot comment on its merits or failures. I have never burnt an engine and often run them wide open for long rides. That is about as concise as I can be Bart. Hope this helps.

swen

Post by swen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 pm

hello bart, I mix non oxegenated fuel and a 24:1 2 cycle mixture with no problems :) the only time i foul a plug is when I dont start it in the proper procedure.

Roy Teske

Post by Roy Teske » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:32 am

Hi Bart. I mix regular 2-stroke oil at 40:1 in my Diablo. Five years and about 900k with no problems. I switched to Shell high test , no eythanol, last year. I had a couple of high speed shut-downs which I think may have been caused by moisture. I'm told eythanol absorbs moisture?? No repeat of the problem so far. I use synthetic oil in my Dad's 1980 Ski-doo 377cc. Works well,smells like vanilla and no smoke. However, using it in our old machines would be like using Pyrodex instead of Black-powder in my old musket. No smoke or that sulphur smell. A trail ride without the fumes would seem un-natural.

snocatpete

Post by snocatpete » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 pm

Here is my two cents. I use a 40-1 mixture of castrol super two stroke oil. I use regular gas with no ethanol in it. I have been using this oil for years upon years in our power equipment where I work. I have never had any engine failure or engine wear due to this oil. This is also the oil that Stihl power products uses as recommended by the Stihl company . Stihl recommends 50-1 ratio which I think is pretty lean. I believe diablos and hus skis recommended 30-1. I use the 40-1 ratio and have never had any problems whatsoever. No plug fouling, very little carboning on top on the piston and cylinder head and very little carbon in the exhaust port. This is what I use. Seems to work for me.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:54 pm

In the Diablo manuals, it recommends 16:1.

Wow, now that is some rich mix!
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

snocatpete

Post by snocatpete » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 am

Your're right Bruce, that is some rich mix. A guy could almost see unburnt oil dripping out of the muffler!

Bart_Bolens_Diablo

Post by Bart_Bolens_Diablo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 pm

OK Guys... here goes my limited 2-stroke experience. With the exception of Outboard Motors and Chainsaws, Snowmobile engine experience has been in the form of maintaining Ultralight Aircraft. Those ultralight engines are altered Snowmobile engines, primarily detuned from their sled counterparts. Earlier engines ( pre - oil injection ) were the aircooled variety to save on weight. Mostly ROTAX, but I have also run Polaris-FUJI fan cooled and Scorpion-Chapparell-Xenoa engines ( Liquid cooled ).

The gasoline type, 2-stroke Oil and ratio of mix were very important given the fact we were 1000 apove ground and engine failures were a bummer. Yet they happened and needed to be planned for and practiced in the event of the inevidable failure.

I have smoked 3 engines in the 500 plus hours of ultralight flight time I have in my log book. The first was with a single cyl Sachs 340 RA motor. It stuck a dykes ring due to Gelling of fuel after mixing two different and dissimilar types of oil-fuel mixes. That first engine out happened at 4000 feet above ground and the final result was a crash that almost killed me. #1 Lesson Learned - Always fly the airplane and practice engine off landings. #2 lesson learned. Never mix dissimilar fuel-oil mixes without knowing their properties.

Most of those engines are meant to get right up on the pipe and hold a consistant wide open 6500 RPMs for hours at a time.
Very different from a sled motor ( especially our old ones ) where we are constantly up and down the throttle range.

I was sold on Penziol 2-stroke Aircooled oil for many years, untill I learned and tried Amsoil. I used Amsoil for the balance of my flying time, impressed with its reliability, wear protection, deposit ( lack of ) on the heads and plugs, and its all around performance. This was at 100:1.

Yesterday I went across the county line to a gas station where I could purchase Unreformulated Premium Grade gasoline. I have mixed it with a 50:1 AMSOIL formulated for snowmobiles. I'll be my own guinne pig, and will share my results with the group.

As soon as I burn off the remaining petrolium 2 stroke oil-gas mix, I'll switch to the Amsoil.

Stay tuned......
Go-G0 Diablo
Bart Gaffney
Oconomowoc, WI

swen

Post by swen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Good luck Bart... :shock: