Gas Tank Restoration

Use this area to have discussions and swap information regarding Diablos or Hus Skis!
snocatpete
Gas Tank Restoration

Post by snocatpete » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:49 am

I recently acquired a Hus Ski 200A and it has some rust in the gas tank. I have been searching on how to deal with this problem on the internet and found a product called Metal Rescue. After watching a video clip about it on Youtube I thought I would give this a try. But then I started wondering if anyone else has used this product on a hus ski or diablo fuel tank. And if they have what are your thoughts on it. Is it a good product or a waste of money!

If you have used it, I would really like to hear from you. Thanks
Peter

Barrie2777

Re: Gas Tank Restoration

Post by Barrie2777 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 am

Here is something out of the Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde laboratory but apparently if you fill the gas tank with a salt water solution, then connect the ground of a battery charger to the tank and the positive to a rod inserted into the solution, which does not contact either the fill neck nor the bottom of the tank. Plug in the charger and stand back......eventually the solution will foam and bubble but after some time, will render the inside of the tank as good as new with shinny , rust free metal. I have yet to try this method but this info came from a very savy snowmobile guy.

fap67

Post by fap67 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:53 am

There is a lot of info on this electrolosis method on vintagesleds.com and on other websites for motorcycles and "hit and miss" engines. I've done a lot of reading on it but haven't tried it yet either. I think if you do a Google search on "gas tank electrolosis" you will probably find out lots of info.

BillNH

Post by BillNH » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Mine on my Diablo (after 40 yrs under a pine tree, where I found it) was all full of crud and rust. I put in a handfull of small rocks and nuts, added about a quart of gas and capped it. Then I shook it vigorously for a few minutes 2-3 times a day for a few days. Then drain and repeat. after two applications, it was remarkably clean inside and fresh gas poured in sloshed and drained didn't bring out any more crud. In the process I lost the tank fitting and had to replace with new set up.
Bill, 503 Diablo Rouge, 444 mongrel. 2009 Arctic Cat 570

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 am

The nice thing about a Diablo tank is it has no baffles within, so cleaning it as described is possible.

I know the 444 tank has baffles. I would think these tanks would be difficult to clean well enough to install a protective liner. Do all the Hus Ski fuel tanks have baffles?
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Baffles me!

The 444 and 600 tank has the baffles while the 200-A style tank has an extended filler neck which extends almost to the bottom of the tank. It would be nearly impossiible to remove rocks or a chain because when the tank is inverted, you can't even pour out the gas from these tanks.

snocatpete

Post by snocatpete » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 pm

I totally agree with you Barrie- the anti slosh neck in the tank goes almost to the bottom of the tank. So putting something solid in there would be impossible to get out of there again. For that reason, my original question was if anyone had tried this Metal Rescue product that claims it cleans the rust to bare metal again and you would be able to drain it through the fuel feed valve on the bottom of the tank and rinsing it out completely and letting it drain. I haven't looked into your method of electrolysis yet but I might give it a try too.
In the meantime i have ordered some of the Metal Rescue so I will experiment to see if it does what it claims or if I have wasted my money.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Go Go Diablo
Site Admin

Post by Go Go Diablo » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:09 am

Here is another thought regarding tanks with "hard to reach" internals:

Before I started restoring my own Diablo tanks, I used to bring them in to the local radiator repair shop to get cleaned and have liners installed. These guys would actually cut a good size hole in the side of the tanks to gain access for blasting and cleaning, then install a patch over the hole and weld it shut. Those guys are some good solderers as you could hardly tell where they cut the tank open.
Too many Diablos and parts to count.
Yamaha 600 SX

Trailrider

Post by Trailrider » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:18 am

Barrie2777 wrote:Here is something out of the Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde laboratory but apparently if you fill the gas tank with a salt water solution, then connect the ground of a battery charger to the tank and the positive to a rod inserted into the solution, which does not contact either the fill neck nor the bottom of the tank. Plug in the charger and stand back......eventually the solution will foam and bubble but after some time, will render the inside of the tank as good as new with shinny , rust free metal. I have yet to try this method but this info came from a very savy snowmobile guy.
I have used this method a number of times on steel boat tanks and it has worked every time. Leave it to foam about a 1/2 hr and then wash it out good to see if you got it all. It sometimes needs a second go but will eventually remove all the loose rust. Afterwards it is important to keep the tank full of non ethanol fuel so the air/moisture can't get at it.

Barrie2777

Post by Barrie2777 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Before I try this, could you say how much salt should go in the tank???