Getting a 200A going again.

These posts document restoration experiences of our members
RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am
Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:35 am

I live out on the left coast far away from the majority of the vintage snowmobiles. Even though there isn't as many out hear they do pop up if you keep an eye out.

Its the time of year I start checking Craigslist daily to catch anything. Scrolling through the adds a picture of the letters JLO flashes by. Knew what that was so I clicked on it and even before I looked at all the pictures I was already writing a message to the seller. It was a 64 Hus-Ski 200A.

I've seen them in videos before, but never ran across any. Was able to line up a day with the seller and while waiting the anticipation was killing. Finally meeting up with the seller we worked out a price of $500. Ive been super pumped about the project ever sense.

I'm going to build this up trying to keep it like factory original except the engine is going to get noticeably modified.
Looking through all the pages here I've found lots of interesting info in a good atmosphere so I thought I would try to help add to the pages.

I always do things a little differently than most so maybe it will be of some interest. Here is what I'm starting with.
Attachments
YnwJqSy.jpg
YnwJqSy.jpg (50.36KiB)Viewed 423 times
rlTYTHj.jpg
rlTYTHj.jpg (49.15KiB)Viewed 423 times
8779fuq.jpg
8779fuq.jpg (42.69KiB)Viewed 423 times

RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:04 pm

This Hus-Ski doesn't seem to have been too worn out. Most everything was there and intact, not monkeyed with. The only thing that was messed with was the recoil. It busted a spring hold tang and was cheaply repaired.

Seems like it was ridden for awhile and then put in a shed where the seat, tracks and skis rotted off. The tracks show some wear, but the rest looks good.
Attachments
fRVO3NA.jpg
fRVO3NA.jpg (57.12KiB)Viewed 414 times
Vml0HTQ.jpg
Vml0HTQ.jpg (44.67KiB)Viewed 414 times
rIEZQ0T.jpg
rIEZQ0T.jpg (22.29KiB)Viewed 414 times

RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 pm

The cylinder bore and piston hardly show any use. It still had spark and compression, that is until I took it apart.
Attachments
3DCJI5S.jpg
3DCJI5S.jpg (30.12KiB)Viewed 414 times
EIg5oB5.jpg
EIg5oB5.jpg (40.98KiB)Viewed 414 times
QVzimwA.jpg
QVzimwA.jpg (46.73KiB)Viewed 414 times

RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:24 pm

I like to get my Dad involved with projects like this and he enjoys building things just as much as I do. He was able to unfold the front fender, then I spent a whole day tapping it out with hammers and dollies. Had to cut out the front bumper bar to do it, but its pretty close now.
Attachments
idhDbop.jpg
idhDbop.jpg (34.15KiB)Viewed 414 times
4S0QMBK-2.jpg
4S0QMBK-2.jpg (23.57KiB)Viewed 414 times
wWtdEnU-2.jpg
wWtdEnU-2.jpg (34.2KiB)Viewed 414 times

RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:07 pm

The gas tank seems a bit on the small size, and with the engine being a 2 stroke which uses around 50% more gas than a 4 stroke I thought it would be a good idea to make an auxiliary tank.

I'm a beginner at tig welding so welding .050 aluminum proved to be a real challenge for me. I struggled to find any pattern welding the edges. It was a fight from the beginning to the end. Its not a pretty weld job, but it is solid.

I will probably add one more mount to the right side for strength. This tank came out to two gallons. That should double the range.
Attachments
tbIQ5JY.jpg
tbIQ5JY.jpg (21.92KiB)Viewed 387 times
YsuBEoO.jpg
YsuBEoO.jpg (27.83KiB)Viewed 387 times
y9TdJne.jpg
y9TdJne.jpg (37.03KiB)Viewed 387 times

RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:00 pm

A piece of the hood left for some reason so I found a replacement until it comes back.
Attachments
yvAmYE1.jpg
yvAmYE1.jpg (31.15KiB)Viewed 367 times
5FnHfDC.jpg
5FnHfDC.jpg (33.13KiB)Viewed 367 times

RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:04 pm

I couldn't live with the welds so I ground them off and rewelded the seams. Its better than it was.
Replaced the bumper tube with some DOM tubing.
Attachments
yITttTE.jpg
yITttTE.jpg (34.84KiB)Viewed 353 times
crzYu8i.jpg
crzYu8i.jpg (43.13KiB)Viewed 353 times
ZxGNRwE.jpg
ZxGNRwE.jpg (45.23KiB)Viewed 353 times
Last edited by RobertM on Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:07 pm

Made some parts out of stainless.
All the hardware is being replaced with stainless.
Attachments
kb1zycH.jpg
kb1zycH.jpg (49.45KiB)Viewed 353 times
s9tvwsD.jpg
s9tvwsD.jpg (37.47KiB)Viewed 353 times

husskifan
Posts:90
Joined:Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by husskifan » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:05 am

YOUR WELDS LOOK GREAT!BE SURE TO USE NEVER SEIZE ON THE STAINLESS HARDWARE.

RobertM
Posts:13
Joined:Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:00 am

Re: Getting a 200A going again.

Post by RobertM » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:08 pm

Repaired a few cuts, and replaced a busted hood tab.
Attachments
VsK0Q8l.jpg
VsK0Q8l.jpg (38.46KiB)Viewed 323 times
4vx2a6w.jpg
4vx2a6w.jpg (29.07KiB)Viewed 323 times
vS5MF5a.jpg
vS5MF5a.jpg (26.01KiB)Viewed 323 times
Last edited by RobertM on Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply